Wednesday, March 11, 2020

On Henderson


On Monday we blew a tyre on the southern motorway. With the determined grip one might use for a senile relative or a recalcitrant child, my wife turned our decelerating vehicle onto a shelf beside the median strip. I thought suddenly of the indigenes of Henderson Island.

I surveyed our new home. The island had a maximum height of two and a half feet feet. Gravel fringed its coral-coloured concrete spine. Traffic roared like the ocean on both coasts. In the distance I could see the Rainbows End rollercoaster; it resembled the reconstructed fossil of a diplodocus.

The people of Henderson - we do not know their name for themselves, or their motu - lived for centuries in caves beside the sea, waiting for canoes from Pitcairn, Mangareva, the Marquesas. The canoes stopped coming. The islanders, who lacked timber to build their own vaka, died.

Our new island home seemed as remote as Henderson. My wife called the AA, the cops, posted on facebook. But no one stopped for us; none of the thousands of passers by even looked up from the steering wheels of their vaka. The hiss and blur of the traffic-waves became a rebuke.

When buses & trucks passed, our beached vaka shook. I thought about the caves of Henderson, which resemble mouths mutely screaming. Loneliness only exists in the midst of other people.

I had never been so happy to see a cop. He closed the road, steered us to a safe anchorage, beside a berm, a bank. Like Melville returning to land after months on the barren sea, I could see every blade of grass about me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Blog27999 said...

As stated by Stanford Medical, It's in fact the ONLY reason women in this country live 10 years longer and weigh 19 kilos lighter than we do.

(And by the way, it is not related to genetics or some secret-exercise and really, EVERYTHING related to "how" they eat.)

P.S, I said "HOW", not "WHAT"...

TAP this link to uncover if this quick test can help you find out your real weight loss potential

11:32 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Let me tell you something...

What I'm going to tell you may sound kind of weird, and maybe even kind of "supernatural"

BUT what if you could just push "Play" to LISTEN to a short, "miracle tone"...

And INSTANTLY bring MORE MONEY into your life??

What I'm talking about is thousands... even MILLIONS of DOLLARS!

Think it's too EASY?? Think this couldn't possibly be for REAL??

Well, Let me tell you the news..

Usually the largest blessings in life are also the SIMPLEST!

Honestly, I will PROVE it to you by letting you PLAY a REAL "miracle abundance tone" I've produced...

You just push "Play" and the money will start coming into your life... starting almost INSTANTLY...

CLICK here NOW to enjoy the mysterious "Miracle Money TONE" - as my gift to you!

1:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

امنیت، یک اصل مهم در ساخت اپ موبایل
راهنمای طراحی منو در ساخت سایت و طراحی اپلیکیشن
وب اپلیکیشن یا وب ویو؟ کدام بهتر است؟
چگونه با طراحی وب اپلیکیشن (pwa) بازده سایت خود را افزایش دهیم؟
فرهنگ سازی از طریق ساخت اپ موبایل
ساخت اپ راهی برای مدیریت بحران
تاثیر ساخت اپ خبرخوان بر رسانه ها
طراحی اپلیکیشن درج آگهی جهت تبلیغات آنلاین

1:04 am  
Anonymous Luke Alvarado said...

Greeat share

4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home