Thursday, May 25, 2006

Three figures

Today this blog attracted over one hundred unique visitors for the first time since Muzzlehatch installed a tracking device a couple of months ago. I know a century isn't exactly the big league, but I don't think it's bad for a blog that dwells on subjects like the intricacies of Marxist politics, obscure Kiwi poets, abandoned coal mines and the lives of retired test cricketers.

I'm celebrating our maiden hundred by posting the wagon wheel of the test century Rodney Redmond scored against Pakistan at Auckland in 1973. In his first test, opening batsman Redmond smashed 107, including a then world record of 24 off one over, in the first innings, and 56 in the second. For reasons that will probably forever remain somewhat obscure, unless I get round to writing a biography, Redmond was never picked to play for New Zealand again. (When I was a cricket-mad kid I would frequently ask my Dad why Redmond disappeared; he would mutter darkly 'The man was a non-conformist, son', and look away.) Let's hope this blog scores a few more tons than poor old Rodney.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

OK, I'll bite. What did he do in his spare time?

10:58 am  
Blogger maps said...

I don't know! Tantalising, isn't it?
There's a Redmond page on the msssive cricket.net site:
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/player/38244.html
As you can see he looked slightly dodgy...

3:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home