Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A vexillogical mystery

I fancy myself as an amateur vexillogist, and even learned to pronounce the word properly, but I'm stumped by this beauty, which I photographed from the passenger seat on a recent expedition to an isolated part of the Kaipara with Skyler and Muzzlehatch. The unusual feature of the flag is the thick stripe that runs down its centre (we reversed the car and took a second look after a brief but heated argument as to whether the stripe was black or navy blue. I still think it's black, but I was outvoted).

Does anyone have any idea what nation, city, organisation, or emotional state this banner might represent? And is there some reason it'd be flying below our beloved national flag? If I don't get any answers to these questions I'll have to post the image in the queries section of frighteningly large Flags of the World website.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you duh.

it's a NEW ZEALAND flag!

11:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno.

Supplementary question:

Why would anyone fly a flag in the middle of the bush/nowhere?

11:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know a lotta shit but i don't know shit about that flag. mosta the shit that i know i learned on the street, and tha only flags that count there are red and blue.

paul anhelm

1:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, at first blush I suspected some sort of navigational flag, but that black/blue bar has thrown me. Put it up on FOTW and see - it could bbe an obscure town in Germany or something.

7:38 am  
Blogger Richard said...

This oriflammic mystery is thus very vexing but not very logical.

10:48 pm  
Blogger Bestpay said...

Yes this is the flag of New Zealand as previously posted.

The picture taken though is from a rear view so the flag is actually backwards to how it normally is viewed.

You can see the New Zealand flag at www.flagsinformation.com/new_zealand-country-flag.htmlCheers,

Bestpay

8:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home