Friday, March 06, 2009

Updike and Upward

I've written the latest Picks of the Week column for the Scoop Review of Books: faithful readers of this blog will recognise a few of my references.

Update - I've just added posted this statement at the Scoop Review of Books: as anyone who has read my deathless text will no doubt have already noticed, I have somehow managed to conflate Martin Amis and Ian MacEwan. Amis made the wonderfully quietist claim about death being a great career move for writers, but MacEwan was the bloke who wrote the recent appraisal of Updike. In my defence I can only say that:

a) MacEwan and Amis are both rather haughty Pommy novelists whose politics have drifted disturbingly far to the right in recent years and

b) I wrote this week's This Week's Picks in two minutes flat in a cybercafe on Lorne Street, whilst thinking of nothing but the cold beer which awaited me at Forde's Bar as soon as I got the task out of the way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Giovanni Tiso said...

I thought the James Wolcott review of The Widows of Eastwick on the LRB (predating Updike's death by a whisker) was bloody good value.

9:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

updike supported the vietnam war.
see
http://opinionatedcatholic.blogspot.com/2009/02/john-updike-on-not-being-dove-how.html

1:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to have conflated Martin Amis with Ian McEwan; an easy enough mistake. The New York Review of Books tribute to Updike was written by McEwan, not Amis.

3:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home