Monday, February 12, 2018

Monu'ia Big Mama!


Cyclone Gita nears Tonga tonight, endangering not only people & fale but entire islands. I'm thinking of Ana 'Big Mama' Emberson, who with her husband is custodian of Pangaimotu, an atoll rich in history & poor in size. In 2014 Cyclone Ian turned part of the island to desert. 
Pangaimotu was home to a famous temple where chiefs came to hear kava-drunk priests ventriloquise the gods. Beach rock was quarried for royals' monumental tombs; cuttings can still be seen at low tide. Cook anchored at the island; Pompallier held Tonga's first Catholic mass there.
For all its history, though, Pangaimotu is barely a quarter of a square kilometre in size. It's one of a score of atolls that adorn Nuku'alofa harbour. When storms come the islands list like holed ships. In 2014, Monuafe atoll sunk completely below the waves.
Monu'ia Big Mama!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Compton said...

I came upon your Homage To Tongan Poets in BNZP and that's how I found your blog. Such a trenchant and moving poem. And now I have seen news of Gita. Timing can sometimes be so - timely.

kind regards - Jennifer Compton

3:45 pm  
Anonymous Scott Hamilton said...

Thanks for your kind words Jennifer. I've been a lazy with the blog lately, but am twittering away - it's a format that suits having small kids!

2:25 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

I just read an interview with Alistair Paterson in the latest PNZ Review and Jennifer Compton's name was mentioned. Also I saw her name in 1985 when I got Morrsaey's 'The New Fiction'

Indeed that is a good poem Scott. It was on here first wasn't it?

All the best to both.

1:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINANCIAL BREAKTHROUGH

Life indeed is GRACE, I'am Daan Sophia currently in California USA. I would like to share my experience with you guys on how I got a loan of $185,000.00 USD to clear my bank draft and start up a new business. It all started when i lost my home and belongings due to the bank draft I took to offset some bills and some personal needs. I became so desperate and began to seek for funds at all means. Luckily for me I heard a colleague of mine talking about this company, I got interested although i was scared of being scammed, I was compelled by my situation and had no choice than to seek advise from my friend regarding this very company and was given their contact number, getting intouch with them really made me skeptical due to my past experience with online lenders, little did i know this very Company "PROGRESSIVE LOAN INC. was a godsent to me and my family and the entire Internet World, this company has been of great help to me and some of my colleague and today am a proud owner of well organized business and responsibilities are well handled all thanks to Josef Lewis of (progresiveloan@yahoo.com).. So if really you are genuinely in need of a loan either to expand or start up your own business or in any form of financial difficulty, i advise you give Mr Josef Lewis of Progressive loan the opportunity of financial upliftment in your life Email: progresiveloan@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(603) 786-7565 and not fall victim of online scam in the name of getting a loan. thanks


10:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


Rajasthan Police Constable Admit Card
Shekhauni Admit Card

8:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home